Anesi Ozmon, LTD.
Experienced, Responsive Representation For Your Injury Lawsuit
  1. Home
  2.  - 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  - Can You Receive Workers’ Comp if You’re Injured on a Business Trip?

Can You Receive Workers’ Comp if You’re Injured on a Business Trip?

On Behalf of | Workers' Compensation

For many workers, traveling for business is an essential part of their jobs. And those business trips can be a lot of fun, but if you’re injured while you’re away from home, that fun experience can quickly change into a stressful and expensive event. While you may know you’re covered by workers’ compensation insurance when you’re in the office, you may wonder if the same applies when you’re traveling. Your trusted Chicago workers’ compensation lawyer explains what you need to understand about your rights as an employee when you’re traveling.

Workers’ Compensation Covers You Away From Your Office

Workers’ compensation insurance covers workers injured on the job. This is true whether you’re injured at the office or traveling for business. The coverage can help pay for your medical expenses as well as a portion of your lost income even if you’re seeing doctors far away from your place of residence.

The Injury Must Be the Result of Your Work

The key to qualifying for workers’ compensation coverage proving that the injury was the result of your work. When you’re in the office, the injury should happen in the course of your duties. But when you’re traveling, things are a bit different.

The course of your duties may include your actual travel (think flight, train ride, car ride, etc.), any meetings or tasks you’re performing on your trip, and even going out to dinner with clients. Injuries suffered during these events would likely all be covered by workers’ compensation.

But if you’re injured while going out to a bar on your own or with friends, or while sightseeing, the injuries will likely not be considered work-related.

What You Should Do if You’re Injured on a Trip

If you’re injured on a work trip, you’ll want to notify your supervisor as soon as possible. Let them know what happened and tell them that you need to file a workers’ compensation claim. Then, seek medical treatment even if you’re still on your trip. This can help document the severity of your injuries and increase your chances of getting a fair settlement.

Once you return home, your employer should give you the necessary paperwork to fill out. Fill the forms out to the best of your ability. If you have any questions about the forms or the types of information you need to provide, consider speaking with a Chicago workers’ compensation lawyer. They’ll be able to guide you and ensure that you’re filling out the forms correctly.

Schedule a Consultation Today

Just because you’re traveling and working away from the office doesn’t mean you’re not entitled to workers’ compensation coverage. You should be protected as long as your injuries happened in the performance of your duties. But just because you’re covered in theory doesn’t mean insurance companies will want to approve your claim.

Contact Anesi Ozmon, LTD., to schedule a free consultation. Our experienced Chicago workers’ compensation lawyers can help whether you’re preparing your initial claim or need to appeal a denied claim.