Anesi Ozmon, LTD.
Experienced, Responsive Representation For Your Injury Lawsuit
  1. Home
  2.  - 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  - What to Do If Your Employer Won’t Let You File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

What to Do If Your Employer Won’t Let You File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

On Behalf of | Workers' Compensation

Getting injured on the job is something that no worker ever wants to experience, but it happens every day. When it does, filing a workers’ compensation claim in Chicago will help cover the cost of your medical bills and give you access to a portion of your regular income while you recover from your injuries. Though many employers actively help injured employees file their claims and navigate the process, some will refuse. You can still file a claim even if your employer won’t help you. Here’s what you’ll need to do.

Seek Medical Attention

If you’re injured, your employer can’t prohibit you from leaving to seek medical attention. If they try, inform them that they’re required to let you visit a doctor and seek medical attention as soon as you can. If you’re not happy with the initial care you receive, you can always get a second opinion from your primary care physician or another doctor of your choice. Just be sure to schedule an appointment as soon as you can.

Document Everything You Can

As with any workplace injury, you’ll want to document everything you can remember about the incident as soon as you can. Write down the conditions that led to the accident, what happened during the accident, the injuries you sustained, and the medical advice you received when you consulted with your doctor. If anyone witnessed the incident, ask them to write down what they remember as well. The more information you have on hand, the easier it will be to file your claim.

Report Your Employer

If your employer refuses to provide you with the necessary paperwork, you can and should report them to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. They’ll be able to process your complaint and provide you with the necessary forms to file your claim. Remember, your employer is legally required to let you file a workers’ compensation claim. If they refuse, reporting them to the state will protect your co-workers from future violations.


Fill Out a Claim

Once you report your employer and have the necessary paperwork in hand, take your time to fill it out completely. Submit your claim as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the sooner you’ll be able to receive the benefits you deserve so you can focus on your recovery. Be as detailed about the incident as you can be.

Consult With a Workers’ Compensation Attorney

If your employer isn’t being supportive, work with a workers’ compensation attorney in Chicago and let them review your case. Attorneys understand how to expedite your claim and can help ensure that you get the compensation you’re entitled to while also making sure your employer upholds their end of the claim.

You Can Still File a Workers’ Compensation Claim without Your Employer’s Help

If your employer refuses to let you file a workers’ compensation claim in Chicago, don’t panic. You’re entitled to file a claim so you can get help covering your medical bills and receive a portion of your income to help you make ends meet. However, you don’t have to navigate the process alone. Schedule a consultation with Anesi Ozmon, LTD, to discuss your situation.