Bruce M. Kohen
Bruce was one of the leaders of the Illinois Trial Bar. He served as the President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association from June 2007-2008 and was a member of its executive committee.
A leader in the fight to preserve laws that protect consumers and victims, Bruce chaired the Legislative Committee of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association for ten years and was one of the lead lawyers in the litigation that successfully challenged the constitutionality of the Illinois Tort Reform Act.
Bruce, who joined the firm as a law clerk and is a named partner/owner, focuses his practice in the fields of personal injury, products liability, medical malpractice, wrongful death, and construction-related injuries. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Leading Illinois Attorneys, and Illinois Super Lawyers. He is often invited to speak before the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois State Bar Association, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Chicago Bar Association, and top mid-west law schools. He is the author of a wide array of articles and publications in the area of tort litigation. In 1998, he was a finalist for the Trial Lawyers For Public Justice prestigious Trial Lawyer of the Year award.
In 2008, he received the ‘Professional Achievement Award’ from Chicago-Kent College of Law. In 2013, the “Bruce M. Kohen Courtroom”, a state-of-the-art courtroom, was named in his honor at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. In 2014, he was selected by Chicago-Kent College of Law as one of their 125 Alumni of Distinction. He is a member of the Chicago-Kent Alumni Board of Directors and was appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to serve on its IPI Jury Instruction Committee for 9 years.
Additional Area of Focus
- 911 Litigation
- Illinois, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1979
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- Best Lawyers in America Listing
- Professional Achievement Award – Chicago-Kent College of Law 125 Alumni of Distinction – Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Bruce M. Kohen Courtroom – Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist – Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1998
- Leading Illinois Attorneys Listing
- Illinois Super Lawyer Listing
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Chicago Bar Association
- Lecturer, Illinois State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, President, Executive Committee
- American Association for Justice, Member, State Delegate
- Illinois State Bar Association, Assemblyman
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Chairman, Legislative Committee
- Society of Trial Lawyers, Board of Directors
- Chicago Bar Association
- Bachelors of Science
University of Illinois
- Juris Doctorate: Honors
Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law
Recent Career Highlights
- $24,250,000 settlement for an ironworker rendered a quadriplegic as a result of a 50-foot fall.
- $20,000,000 settlement for a laborer who was paralyzed when a wall collapsed.
- $13,000,000 jury verdict for a millwright injured when he fell from an oven under construction.
- $12,000,000 settlement for a visitor at McCormick Place who fell down stairs that were improperly designed and constructed.
- $12,000,000 settlement for a construction worker paralyzed when he was struck by falling construction materials.
- $10,000,000 settlement for a construction worker who fell through a floor decking opening and suffered a brain injury.
- $8,000,000 settlement for a carpenter who was rendered a paraplegic as a result of a fall from a roof.
- $4,000,000 jury verdict for a pipefitter burned in an underground storage tank explosion.
- $3,000,000 jury verdict for a 911 for a wrongful death case against the City of Chicago.