ANESI, OZMON partners, Steven A. Berman and Brian D. Teven recently obtained a successful settlement of over $2.1 million in total compensation for a 50-year-old ironworker out of Local 393. The worker was injured during the construction of a building in Naperville when he fell approximately 14 feet after slipping and losing his balance while walking on open steel beams, landing on the concrete floor below. He sustained fractures to both wrists as well as a ruptured spleen requiring emergency surgery and ultimately preventing him from continuing working in the ironworking trade. The contractors who were the defendants in the case argued that they were not responsible for the injuries because no fall protection was required and the work complied with all OSHA regulations. However, the attorneys from ANESI, OZMON were able to establish that a lift should have been provided which would have prevented the fall.
News & Personal Injury Law Blog
Below are brief summaries of construction negligence cases that we have resolved for past clients.
- $24,250,000 settlement for an ironworker rendered a quadriplegic as a result of a 50-foot fall.
- $22,000,000 combined settlement for seven masons injured when a masonry wall collapsed during construction due to high winds and the failure to properly brace the wall during construction.
- $20,937,000 verdict for an ironworker whose arm was severed by a 550-lb. steel beam falling from a crane on a construction site. The arm was surgically re-attached but will not be fully functional.
- $20,000,000 settlement for a laborer who was paralyzed when a wall collapsed.
- $14,000,000 combined settlement for four ironworkers injured when the Post Office collapsed during construction.
- $13,000,000 jury verdict for a millwright injured when he fell from an oven under construction.
- $12,434,000 settlement for an ironworker and his wife after the worker suffered a brain injury from a fall of 18 feet after a defective piece of roof decking shifted during installation at a car dealership. This is the largest "work injury" verdict published in Winnebago County, Illinois.
- $12,000,000 settlement for a construction worker paralyzed when he was struck by falling construction materials.
- $11,287,500 settlement for a worker paralyzed...