Associate Hayley Graham tried the first in-person workers’ compensation hearing during the COVID-19 pandemic in Chicago on June 15. Hayley received a very favorable award of all benefits at trial. Our client is a beer delivery driver, who delivers 5,000 cases of beer each week, unloading and stocking the product in large grocery and liquor stores. The constant heavy lifting on a daily basis caused an injury to his lumbar spine and he suffered a herniated disc. His injury was exacerbated by stepping awkwardly off the back of his truck, which led to the need for surgery. The workers’ compensation insurance company disputed the injury, arguing that it was not a result of his job-related duties, but the result of regular wear and tear on the spine. The insurance company denied all benefits, including payment for his time off work, medical expenses and for the permanent nature of the injuries. The Arbitrator disagreed and issued a trial award in our favor, finding that the injury was work related and directing the insurance company to pay for all of the client’s medical treatment and time missed from work. Additionally, the Arbitrator found that the client had...
Below are brief summaries of construction negligence cases that we have resolved for past clients.
- $24,250,000 settlement for an ironworker rendered a quadriplegic as a result of a 50-foot fall.
- $22,000,000 combined settlement for seven masons injured when a masonry wall collapsed during construction due to high winds and the failure to properly brace the wall during construction.
- $20,937,000 verdict for an ironworker whose arm was severed by a 550-lb. steel beam falling from a crane on a construction site. The arm was surgically re-attached but will not be fully functional.
- $20,000,000 settlement for a laborer who was paralyzed when a wall collapsed.
- $14,000,000 combined settlement for four ironworkers injured when the Post Office collapsed during construction.
- $13,000,000 jury verdict for a millwright injured when he fell from an oven under construction.
- $12,434,000 settlement for an ironworker and his wife after the worker suffered a brain injury from a fall of 18 feet after a defective piece of roof decking shifted during installation at a car dealership. This is the largest "work injury" verdict published in Winnebago County, Illinois.
- $12,000,000 settlement for a construction worker paralyzed when he was struck by falling construction materials.
- $11,287,500 settlement for a worker paralyzed...