The Chicago, IL, construction industry is always booming, which provides residents with numerous job opportunities. While construction workers can earn a reliable income, they also face many injury hazards on the job.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), construction workers are at risk of suffering significant injuries or death in the following accidents:
- Falling from dangerous heights
- Getting struck by objects
- Getting caught between objects or equipment
- Suffering electrocutions
You are nearly always entitled to workers’ compensation benefits in the wake of a construction injury. However, the process of receiving these benefits is not automatic. In other words, you must do your part to acquire the workers’ comp benefits you deserve.
Protect your claim with these tips
Our attorneys want to help you preserve your right to receive workers’ compensation and avoid claim denials. We suggest using the tips below to protect your valid claim:
- Report the accident and injury to your boss immediately.
- Get a medical opinion to show why you deserve workers’ comp benefits.
- Keep a journal tracking all elements of your accident (how it happened, doctor visits, hours of work lost, etc.)
- Complete your claim paperwork carefully to avoid errors, which may delay your benefits.
- Consider seeking legal assistance with your claim to ensure you have met all associated requirements for filing.
If you receive a notice that your claim was not approved, consider filing an appeal. An experienced law firm can help you file your appeal successfully. It is also wise to learn more about workers’ comp law in Illinois. A great way to start is by reviewing more of the content published on our website and blog.