Anita LeFlore, the mother of 5-year-old Amareon Williams, who tragically died when he was asphyxiated by a jump rope at Tricia’s Playhouse and Day Care on June 9, 2014, has filed a Tort Claim Notice with the Governor of the State of Indiana, the Indiana Family & Social Services Administration, and the Indiana Attorney General. The basis of the Claim is that the State of Indiana through its Department of Family & Social Services should have closed the child care facility on April 21, 2014 when during an inspection, six (6) serious violations were detected. Further investigation by Ms. LeFlore’s attorneys revealed that five (5) days prior to that inspection, a parent filed a complaint in which it was claimed that a child had been beaten with a belt at the Day Care facility.
The State of Indiana has ninety (90) days to respond to this claim and if the State does not respond or if the State denies this Claim, Ms. LeFlore’s attorney, Mark Novak will then proceed to file a lawsuit against the State of Indiana, and its Family & Social Services Administration.
In addition, Mr. Novak will be filing an Amended Complaint at Law in the civil action that is pending in LaPorte, Indiana, naming as additional Defendants, Stephanie Johnson and Erica Merriweather who were the day care providers working at the daycare on June 9th. The original wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Anita LeFlore was filed on June 17, 2014 which named Tricia Calvin, individually and d/b/a Tricia’s Playhouse and Day Care.
On July 25, 2014, Tricia Calvin, the owner of Tricia’s Playhouse and Day Care was charged with Reckless Homicide, a Class C Felony and Involuntary Manslaughter, a Class D Felony. Stephanie Johnson, an employee of the day care was charged with Reckless Homicide, a Class C Felony and Involuntary Manslaughter, a Class D Felony. Erica Merriweather, another employee of the day care was also charged with Reckless Homicide, a Class C Felony and Involuntary Manslaughter, a Class D Felony. All of those charges arose out of the death of Amareon Williams at the Day Care facility.
Coverage of the incident can be found in the following news sources:
- Indianapolis Star: “Indiana woman seeks $700,000 over son’s day-care death“
- News-Sentinel: “Indiana woman sues state over son’s day-care death“
- WISH TV: “Mother files tort claim notice with Ind. officials after son’s daycare death“
- WNDU 16: “Mother of boy killed at daycare files tort claim notice”
- Claims Journal: “Indiana Woman Files $700,000 Suit Against State in Son’s Daycare Death“
- ABC 57: “Mother wants action after son dies in daycare accident”
- WSBT 22: “Disturbing details revealed in Michigan City day care death“
- FOX 28: “Daycare hanging victim’s mother files Tort Claim notice to sue the state“