A pedestrian that is hurt or killed by a vehicle or property defects can qualify for compensation for damages. Litigation can not only serve to compensate the injured but can also serve as a warning to negligent parties that can help prevent others from suffering the same fate.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) has said that approximately five thousand pedestrians are killed in accidents with vehicles. In addition to accidents involving a pedestrian and a vehicle, there are many accidents that pedestrians can get into such as passing through a construction area.
What leads to accidents between drivers and pedestrians?
Here are a few of the common causes of motor vehicle accidents involving pedestrians:
- Speeding: When drivers fail to control their speed, it can cause dangerous conditions for pedestrians.
- Right of way: Failing to yield to pedestrians that are crossing the street can cause accidents to occur.
- Breaking traffic laws: When motorists break traffic laws, such as making an illegal U-turn, it can result in injuries to pedestrians.
- Signals: When drivers don’t properly use their turn signals it can result in confusion and accidents.
- Intoxication: When drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, this perilous situation can cause slower reaction times and impaired decisions.
- Distracted drivers: Drivers that talk on the phone, eat, drink, shave or put on make-up while driving can cause accidents due to lack of attention.
There are many reasons why pedestrians are hurt or killed by cars and trucks. The above are just a few of the most common causes.
If a pedestrian is injured or killed by the negligence of others, then having a legal advocate that is experienced with personal injury and wrongful death cases in Chicago can help to ensure that pedestrian rights are protected.