Jennifer J.C. Kelly
Jennifer J. C. Kelly joined Anesi, Ozmon, Rodin, Novak & Kohen, Ltd. as an associate attorney in 2013. She has been practicing law since 2005 when she obtained her degree from DePaul University College of Law.
Jennifer’s unwavering support of workers’ rights began during her childhood in Northwest Indiana. Her father dedicated over 37 years as a Heat & Frost Insulator with Local 17, and her mother is a teacher and longtime member of the American Federation of Teachers. Prior to becoming a member of Anesi Ozmon, Jennifer spent over five years with a large firm where she defended employers in workers’ compensation matters. After gaining that valuable experience, Jennifer transitioned to the representation of injured workers and has never looked back.
As a law student at DePaul University College of Law, Jennifer was an executive member of the Moot Court Society. She also received the CALI Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, an award given to the student with the highest grade in the class. During law school, Jennifer traveled to Chiapas, Mexico as part of a human rights program to assist the indigenous people of that region.
As an attorney, Jennifer has long been committed to protecting workers’ rights, and has routinely obtained significant recoveries for her clients through trials and settlements. Through her contributions to the legal community and work as a workers’ compensation lawyer, she was elected by her peers to join the Board of Directors of the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association (WCLA). WCLA is an organization with more than 700 members whose mission is to facilitate improvements to workers’ compensation legislation in Illinois and to promote fellowship among attorneys in the practice of workers’ compensation law.
In 2014, Jennifer was chosen to join the Young Professionals Board of the Chicago Bar Foundation, an organization devoted to providing access to justice to people in need. She also serves on the Associate Board of Providence St. Mel School, an institution that provides a first rate education to underprivileged children on the west side of Chicago.
In addition to being an active member within several prestigious organizations, Jennifer was also selected to speak at the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ILTA) 2015 Workers’ Compensation Seminar. Jennifer continues to make contributions to the legal community, but above all else, she remains dedicated to obtaining the best results for injured workers and their families.
Jennifer’s Recent Settlements & Awards:
- $500,000.00 settlement for a union truck driver after establishing his severe leg injury was career-ending despite the fact he never underwent surgery. The settlement also included a Medicare Set-Aside of over $100,000.00 as consideration for the client’s future medical needs.
- Secured settlement of over $495,000.00 for a union laborer who suffered a debilitating crush injury to his foot, leaving him permanently restricted from returning to construction work. As part of the settlement, the insurance company also remained responsible for any future medical treatment required by the client.
- Negotiated settlement of $313,000.00 for a union carpenter who sustained a severe hip injury due to his long term hard labor work as a flooring installer. In addition, the client’s future medical needs were protected through a Medicare Set-Aside which was being fully funded by the workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
- Received trial award of over $110,000.00 for a nurse who injured her shoulder while working. The Arbitrator awarded all requested benefits. The claim was disputed by the workers’ compensation carrier, with only a $3,000.00 settlement offer extended before trial.
- Award of weekly TTD benefits and medical expenses, including cost of lumbar surgery, for a restaurant worker who severely injured his low back while stocking heavy boxes of food. The Arbitrator awarded all requested benefits.
- Settlement of $165,000.00 in consideration of unpaid weekly TTD benefits, medical expenses and permanent disability for a union pipefitter who sustained a shoulder injury and repetitive trauma injuries to his wrists. The insurance company disputed the claims based on medical opinions from their IME doctor, but through extensive negotiations, Jennifer was able to secure a significant settlement for her client.
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation
- Illinois, 2005
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. – 2005
- Honors: Moot Court Society
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Illinois
- Journalism – 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Workers’ Compensations Lawyers Association – Board Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, 2005 – 2013
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Illinois Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Young Professionals Board of the Chicago Bar Foundation
- Associate Board of Providence St. Mel School
Past Employment Positions
- Belcher Law Office, Attorney, 2011 – 2012
- Wiedner & McAuliffe, Ltd., Attorney, 2005 – 2011
Pro Bono Activities
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 2011 – 2013
- Alpha Chi Omega