Jennifer J.C. Kelly
Jennifer J. C. Kelly joined Anesi, Ozmon, Rodin, Novak, & Kohen, Ltd. in 2013 and was elevated to partner in 2017. Jennifer’s unwavering support of workers’ rights began during her childhood in Northwest Indiana. Her father dedicated over 37 years as a Heat & Frost Insulator with Local 17, and her mother was a teacher and member of the American Federation of Teachers for over 40 years. Prior to joining Anesi Ozmon, Jennifer spent five years defending employers in workers’ compensation matters. After gaining that valuable experience, Jennifer transitioned to the representation of injured workers and has never looked back.
Jennifer also strives to give back to her community. She is the current President of the Young Professionals Board of the Chicago Bar Foundation, and serves as a parent representative on the Local School Council of the Chicago Public School her children attend. Previously, Jennifer served on the Board of Directors of the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association, and the Associate Board of Providence St. Mel School. Additionally, Jennifer was selected to participate in the annual Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Workers’ Compensation seminar as a speaker in 2015 and as the moderator in 2019.
Jennifer is committed to protecting workers’ rights, and has routinely obtained significant recoveries for her clients through trials and settlements. Jennifer truly cares for the injured workers she represents, and commits herself to every case with compassion and diligence.
Jennifer’s Recent Settlements & Awards:
- $500,000.00 settlement for a union truck driver after establishing his severe leg injury was career-ending despite the fact he never underwent surgery. The settlement also included a Medicare Set-Aside of over $100,000.00 as consideration for the client’s future medical needs.
- Secured settlement of over $495,000.00 for a union laborer who suffered a debilitating crush injury to his foot, leaving him permanently restricted from returning to construction work. As part of the settlement, the insurance company also remained responsible for any future medical treatment required by the client.
- Negotiated settlement of $313,000.00 for a union carpenter who sustained a severe hip injury due to his long term hard labor work as a flooring installer. In addition, the client’s future medical needs were protected through a Medicare Set-Aside which was being fully funded by the workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
- Received trial award of over $110,000.00 for a nurse who injured her shoulder while working. The Arbitrator awarded all requested benefits. The claim was disputed by the workers’ compensation carrier, with only a $3,000.00 settlement offer extended before trial.
- Award of weekly TTD benefits and medical expenses, including cost of lumbar surgery, for a restaurant worker who severely injured his low back while stocking heavy boxes of food. The Arbitrator awarded all requested benefits.
- Settlement of $165,000.00 in consideration of unpaid weekly TTD benefits, medical expenses and permanent disability for a union pipefitter who sustained a shoulder injury and repetitive trauma injuries to his wrists. The insurance company disputed the claims based on medical opinions from their IME doctor, but through extensive negotiations, Jennifer was able to secure a significant settlement for her client.
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation
- Illinois, 2005
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. – 2005
- Honors: Moot Court Society
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Illinois
- Journalism – 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers’ Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Young Professionals Board of the Chicago Bar Foundation, President
- Alcott Elementary School Local School Council, Parent Representative
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers’ Association Board of Directors, 2015 – 2018; Current Member
- Associate Board of Providence St. Mel School, Member, 2010 – 2018
Past Employment Positions
- Belcher Law Office, Attorney, 2011 – 2012
- Wiedner & McAuliffe, Ltd., Attorney, 2005 – 2011
Pro Bono Activities
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 2011 – 2013
- Alpha Chi Omega