Protecting the injured since 1955
Steve serves the general practice needs of our clients. He has 26 years of experience in representing families and individuals in a variety of areas. He has handled dozens of probate estates. Steve has helped many families gain peace of mind by assisting them with drafting their estate planning documents. He also represents clients in residential real estate sales and purchases. Through his expertise in consumer bankruptcy, Steve has helped clients save their homes and get out from underneath crushing debt by filing Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies. Steve takes pride in serving our clients in a professional and efficient manner while always keeping an eye on achieving practical results.
In addition to heading our general practice department, Steve helps employees in several employment law areas. Steve represents employees who have been unlawfully discriminated against, harassed or retaliated against because of their race, sex, religion, disability, age or other protected class. For employees who are leaving their jobs, Steve can advise them on their rights and the fairness of severance agreements. His practice also includes cases against employers who have violated the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or have terminated workers in retaliation for exercising their rights under federal or state law. Steve is particularly keen to protect workers who have been fired for filing a Worker’s Compensation claim. Steve takes great satisfaction in helping David battle Goliath.
- $193,750 in a sexual harassment and retaliatory discharge case where an employee at a Harley Davidson dealership was subjected to harassment by other employees and terminated when she complained about it.
- $122,500 in an FMLA case where an employee was told he had leave available and then was fired while on leave because the employer had made a mistake in calculating the amount of leave he had left.
- $96,000 in a disability discrimination case where employer refused to accommodate the worker’s injury.
- $75,000 in a racial discrimination case where a supervisor called an employee racist names to his face.
- $68,250.00 in a retaliatory discharge case where the employer fired a worker who had filed a Worker’s Compensation claim against the employer’s predecessor company.
- $62,500.00 in a discrimination and retaliation case where an employee at a bix-box store was subjected to harassment based on his ethnicity and disability and fired when he complained about it.
- Probate including decedent’s estate administration and guardianships
- Estate Planning
- Residential Real Estate
- Employment Discrimination and Retaliatory Discharge
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- J. D. - 1994
- Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana
- B.A. - 1989
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- UAW Legal Services Plan, Staff Attorney, 1997 to 2003
Classes & Seminars
- Settling Wrongful Death and Survival Claims In (and Out of) Probate Court, Newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Trust & Estates Section, Vol. 67, No. 7, January, 2021
Fraternities or Sororities
Certified Legal Specialties
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice, Employment Rights Section
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Chicago Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Committee Member
- Chicago Bar Association Probate Practice Committee Member
- Chicago Bar Association Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee Member
- Will County Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association/Illinois, Member
- AFSCME, Member
Current Employment Positions
“I just want to let you know between Jennifer and Lisa, you two are awesome attorneys and I will recommend you both till the end! I love your service and positivity throughout the process! Thank you both for all you have done! I honestly felt so comfortable with your service from the start! I can’t thank you both enough! Honestly!”
“They did a great job with helping me with my workman's comp case. I would recommend this law firm to anyone that’s in need of a lawyer.”