A highly committed and respected trial attorney with over 40 years of experience, Mark Novak serves as Chairman of Anesi Ozmon, Ltd. A native of New York, Mr. Novak earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Rochester before attending Loyola University Chicago School of Law. He started his career as a law clerk at Anesi Ozmon, Ltd., became an equity partner in 1983, a name partner in 1997, and has obtained many record jury verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. Mark served as President and Managing Partner from 2006-2018 and continues to provide invaluable experience and leadership for the firm as Chairman.
Although many of Mr. Novak's cases are noteworthy, several deserve special mention:
- $18,000,000 settlement in a medical malpractice case involving the traumatic birth of a baby boy who was deprived of oxygen during labor and delivery, which resulted in the baby being born with Cerebral Palsy of the spastic quadriplegic type.
- $12,000,000 settlement on behalf of an electrician’s helper whose legs were badly fractured at a job site for the City of Chicago when the bucket of a bobcat impacted him.
- $7,500,000 jury verdict for a motorcyclist partially paralyzed as a result of the negligence of a village in failing to properly maintain a road sign.
- $7,173,000 record jury verdict for an ironworker whose ankle was crushed when a steel I-beam fell over onto his leg due to unsafe ground conditions.
- $5,250,000 settlement for a construction worker killed while working on a CTA project.
- $4,000,000 settlement for a carpenter who sustained a disabling back injury due to an unsafe scaffold.
- $3,850,000 settlement for a laborer who suffered a severe back injury when he was caused to fall into an unguarded trench.
- $3,242,000 record jury verdict for a carpenter who severely injured his ankle in a construction accident.
- $2,981,000 jury verdict for an ironworker who sustained a disabling back injury during the construction of the new Arlington Park racetrack.
Aside from his active trial practice, Mark’s knowledge and experience have been reflected in other areas. He has lectured and written extensively on the law relating to personal injury cases. He was chosen to sit on the prestigious Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. He also sits on a national committee on product liability law. Mark is also Chairman of the Novak Family Foundation, a charitable trust whose philanthropy includes many local and national charities and endowments in support of the arts. A long-time union supporter, Mark has endowed a scholarship for the sons and daughters of union members at Loyola Law School of Chicago. He was also one of the sponsors of the 2016 exhibition – ‘Van Gogh’s Bedrooms’ at the Art Institute of Chicago, and is one of the major funders of the 2020 exhibition ‘Monet and Chicago’ also at the Art Institute. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, Leading Lawyers, Illinois Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers ‘Top 100 Trial Lawyers,’ Who’s Who in American Law, Who’s Who in America, and Who’s Who in the World. Mark received his B.A. from the University of Rochester and his J.D. from Loyola University of Chicago Law School.
Mark Novak was selected by Leading Lawyers Magazine – Consumer Edition to be one of the featured editorial profiles in the publication. The profile not only highlights Mark’s four decades of firm loyalty in personal injury law, but also explores his personal life and what has motivated him to be one of the top personal injury trial lawyers in Illinois.
"There is no greater professional satisfaction than knowing that through one's efforts a wrong has been righted, a victim has received justified compensation, and the ends of justice were served."